Tuesday, March 9, 2010

individuality in a copy and paste society

society has skewered the concept of individuality so much that i'm not even sure where to begin.

...

hmm.

lets skip the introduction and just get on with it.

in life, you always have to make choices. whether physical or mental, choices are the basis of day to day life and are arguably the most important part of human existence.
so, in regards to other humans, there is a mental choice that must be made in regards to how you view them.
they can either be senseless clones with no real originality and therefore no objective or subjective value because they are a dime a dozen.
or
you can view them as unique individuals.

thats it. you can't say certain people are one, and others the other. it's one or the other.
i recently came to this conclusion through using my observation skills! inductive logic FTW!

the more i talk to people, the more i see that yes, there are generalities that are connected, hence the usefulness of things like MBTI, but even within there, the possibility for difference is infinite.
i'm starting to come to the conclusion that every person is one in a million. or rather, one in six billion.
and, its exhausting. life is so much easier when you can view crowds as disposable. to realize that everything person in your school, that you pass on the street, that you ignore in an elevator, that each one has objective value as a person, has a unique story, a unique view point, the ability to bring you to tears with a story from their lives. well, thats an incomplete sentence, but thats how i feel whenever i think of that. incomplete. knowing that there is such a myriad of connections to be made, to be had. it is tiring.
friendships, strong friendships, lasting friendships, take a lot of work. getting to know one person well is oftentimes a struggle. but, getting to that layer, getting under the epidermis and into their innermost chambers is always worth whatever frustration or trials were in the way.

so yeah, this lacked an introduction and any real supporting facts or such. it's just me, stating whats been on my mind. a relevant verse that comes to mind is psalms 136:13-15 (NIV)
for you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
i praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
i know that full well.
my frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

the innermost being... such a titillating concept.
and, the song of the day:
desolate earth; the end is here -by- underoath
link
lyrics:
You said there was nothing left down here
Well I roamed around the wasteland
And I swear I found something
I found hope, I found God
I found the dreams of the believers

Oh, God! Save us all

(best part of the song is around 3 minutes in where the violin carries it into the drums... guh. beauty)



1 comment:

  1. Your mind amazes me. Good job! But it's Psalm 139, not 136...

    ReplyDelete